Some of our ISA Volunteers have put together some info that’s very useful to new volunteers:
- Bring clothes you can easily move in and that you don’t mind getting dirty.
You are working with kids all day and outside a lot! Be prepared for anything!
- Don’t be stuck on a specific plan. Your Mondays will be hectic and will
determine what you do the entirety of the rest of the week. Meet the kids
and work with their skill level and interests.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions!! Ask the kids what their interests are and
get to know them. The more you allow yourself to get to know them, the
better your weeks will go and you’ll be more prepared to meet their needs.
- Bring walking shoes! Make sure your shoes are comfy and don’t wear brand
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help! You don’t need to take on every situation by
yourself. Aisling, Nicole and facilitators are there to help especially when it comes to
children having meltdowns or not wanting to leave the GAP house.
- All of the camps are trial and error. If something doesn’t work, try something
else. The kids will keep you on your toes.