GAP was formed in 2011 by a group of proactive parents and autistic adults to share information and support. Our membership consists of autistic children and adults, parents and family members, teachers, volunteers and those working alongside the autistic community.
What we want to achieve:
Our vision is for a society that is accepting and understanding of autistic people and their families, ensuring their right to equal opportunities and participation.
Our mission is to improve the quality of life for autistic people and their families by providing and facilitating quality peer support, information, social activities, training and education.
GAP’s objectives are:
– To offer effective and appropriate support for autistic people and their families
– To ensure that a range of advocacy services, including self-advocacy support is available to individuals and families
– To challenge and change perceptions of autism through awareness raising, capacity building and information
– To increase opportunities for autistic people to be socially involved and included in activities in the community
– To provide strong, innovative governance and to create a workplace where people will perform at their best