GAP recognises how valuable peer support is to the whole family. We regularly organise events which allows the entire family to spend time with other member families, enjoying each other’s company and experiencing new things.
These family days are a foundation stone for GAP and are always positive and fun experiences!
Family days have ranged from Pancake Parties, Christmas Family Fun Day with Santa, seasonal events and our annual walk to celebrate World Autism Month.
Christmas Family Fun Day with Sensory Santa:
Visiting Santa has become a festive tradition for many children, yet the experience itself can be a sensory nightmare. Crowded shopping centres, bright flashing lights, loud music and strangers dressed in costumes can be extremely off-putting for neurodiverse children.
Recognising that GAP kids love to meet Santa but can be discouraged by the surrounding fuss, the charity has developed our ”Christmas Family Fun Day” complete with a visit from our sensory-friendly Santa.
What make it different?
- GAP shares a visual picture story in advance of the event so that your family can know what to expect on the day
- Our Sensory Santa is experienced with autistic children of all ages and will respect their personal boundaries, never rushing a child or forcing them to interact
- GAP hosts our Christmas Family Fun days as private events meaning less crowds and more time to relax and enjoy the experience
- Your family will be given a scheduled time to visit with Santa; you can enjoy fun games, activities and treats while you wait
- GAP Staff and Volunteers are always on hand to offer assistance
- We can make all reasonable accommodations to ensure your family enjoys their visit; need the music turned down? Want Santa to come out of the grotto to meet your child outside? Just ask us, and we’re happy to help!
GAP ”Wear Gold & Walk” for Autism Acceptance Month (April)
Traditionally, the 2nd of April has been celebrated as ”Autism Awareness Day”. At GAP we like to celebrate the entire month of April as ”Autism Acceptance Month”!
You can expect all sorts of fun activities and events throughout April, including:
- Fundraising events and information stands in Galway city shopping centres
- Lectures and information sessions
- Social media campaigns and competitions; visit our Facebook here!
- School campaigns and fundraisers
The event is always a wonderful day out, with food and festivities for the whole family upon completion of their walk.
Where possible GAP strives to use local businesses who in turn support GAP. If you are a business who would like to work with GAP, we would love to hear from you.
GAP Summer Family Fun Days
GAP regularly hosts a Family Fun day during the Summer months. Families are welcome to attend and enjoy a day of food, music, games and activities with all the thoughtful and considered support you would expect from GAP.
Relax while your children enjoy a day of fun and play and meet other families.
We have been very lucky to host some amazing offerings like BBQ trucks, ice cream vans, a visit from a farm, bouncy castles, magicians, musicians and even a real life mermaid!
GAP would like to thank everyone at the Walled Garden in Kilcornan, Clarinbridge who volunteered the use of their amazing space in 2019.